Prospector Sailing Canoe Build

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Went for a paddle on the Stour yesteday from Grove Ferry to Fordwich and back.

Had a few issues with the rig, but it was only the second time I have tried to use it, initial results are promising, got up a nice bit of speed but need to fit a leeboard and rudder not to mention jam cleats and associated rigging, and I have to sort out a better method of fixing the mast steps as the both came out! fortunately I pre-empted a problem with them so I only epoxy'd them to the bottom of the boat and did not screw through thus no damage done.

My seat on the other hand needs more work, putting weight on the front dowel flexed it to the point that is came out of one end of the mounting slightly damaging both mountings, again not really a problem but I think I will take this opportunity to move the seat forward to trim the boat better (keeping the bow low in the wind is essential!)

I think I will try some form of adjustable seat hung over the gunwales (I’ll leave the stern seat as it is)

The other thing I am going to have to do it fit some ribs as the hull flexes quite a lot with two adults in it

a couple of photos of our trip

















3 Comments:

  • Try using some epoxy mixed with a coloured pigment and "painting" it on.
    Just as the epoxy becomes hard enought to press a fingernail in (4 hrs at room temperature) mix some more and give a second coat.
    Use a spatula as it cures to "trowel" the resin to give a hard, smooth, coloured finish that will last.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 pm  

  • nice photos man, sorry to hear your having some rig problems, I'm sure you'll get them sorted out eventually.

    By Anonymous Allkindsofsunglasses, at 12:44 pm  

  • I recommend you for the adequate preparations taken to ensure a safe sailing, checking on the weight load is quite vital.

    By Anonymous sailing, at 10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google
Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

View My Stats

member of the Boatbuilding Ring Previous Site Random Site List Sites Next Site